Provencal vegetable and Goat Cheese tart
Oulala, these layers of the best summer vegetables, fresh basil and enjoyable goat cheese in the Provencal Vegetable tart make you feel the notes of southern France once you take a bite...
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 tbsps unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ tsp salt
- 4-6 tbsps ice water, as needed
- Cooking spray
- 1 small eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 1 large shallot, sliced vertically
- 8-10 large tomatoes, left whole
- ½ cup olive oil or as needed to roast the vegetables
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, divided
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled and divided
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Combine the flour, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse until crumbly. Alternately, combine in a bowl and cut the flour mixture into the butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Add the water and continue to mix until the dough clings together.
- Spray an 11-inch tart pan with cooking spray. Press the dough evenly into the tart pan and up the sides.
- With a fork, prick the bottom of the dough in several places. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights or old beans, rice or lentils.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the crust is lightly baked through. Let cool. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Place the eggplant, red bell pepper and tomatoes on a large sheet pan. Place the yellow squash, zucchini and shallot on another sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Toss or flip so that the vegetables are evenly coated with oil, salt and pepper. Roast the zucchini, squash and shallot for 13-15 minutes and the eggplant, bell pepper and tomatoes for 20-25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cut the red bell pepper into ½-inch cubes and cut the tomatoes in half top to bottom.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the tart with Parmesan cheese.
- Place the eggplant over the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with half the red bell pepper, ⅓ of the goat cheese, ⅓ of the sliced basil and half the garlic.
- Top with zucchini, yellow squash and shallot. Sprinkle with ⅓ of the goat cheese, ⅓ of the sliced basil and the remaining garlic.
- Top with remaining red bell pepper, tomatoes, remaining goat cheese and basil.
- Whisk the cream (or half-and-half) and eggs together. Add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until filling set and cheese is lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
What's on the menu
Sign up below to be added to our WhatsApp distribution list and be the first to know once our stocks have been updated!
We take pride to always try to bring produces that are grown as close as possible to us. We fly things in only if they are not available nearby. If you would like to order a produce that you are not seeing listed here, leave your email and a note and we will try to add it!