Italian veggie tart
What can you do with aubergine, courgettes and tomatoes that you have in your fridge? Use them for Italian Veggie tart packed with vibrant Mediterranean flavours...
- 1 long, thin aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- 3 large vine tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more to serve
- 125g log vegetarian soft goat cheese
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped basil, and leaves to serve
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 100g roasted red peppers from a jar, sliced
- 75g sunsoaked tomatoes in oil, drained
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
- sea salt flakes
- Heat the oven to 240°C/ fan 220°C/ gas 9. Cut the aubergine, courgettes and tomatoes into 5mm slices. Lay the courgette and aubergine slices out on a couple of large baking sheets and brush them on both sides with 1½ tbsps of olive oil. Season, roast for 10 minutes until it gets soft. Then leave to cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pat the tomato slices dry and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
- Put a large baking sheet on the top shelf of the oven to heat up. Mash the goat cheese, crème fraiche, garlic and chopped basil in a small bowl with a fork. Season well.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet on a floured work surface and roll out further in one direction to make a square about 3mm thick, then trim off the corners to make a round disc, about 30cm in diameter. Transfer the pastry circle to a large piece of baking paper so that it’s easier to move once it’s assembled.
- Spread the goat cheese mixture over the centre of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border all round. Layer up slices of courgette, aubergine and tomato and arrange on top of the filling in a spiral or concentric circles. Nestle in the roasted red peppers and sunsoaked tomatoes here and there.
- Drizzle with another ½ tablespoon of oil, and fold in the sides to overlap the filling slightly, making a 3-4cm wide crust. Brush the crust with egg, sprinkle with a little salt and slide the tart, on its paper, onto the hot baking tray in the oven (using a board to help move it from worktop to oven can be useful). Cook for 20-25 minutes until the pastry is puffed and golden, and the veg have softened. Pierce the pastry with the tip of a knife if it has domed, then leave to rest for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Scatter with basil and drizzle with more oil to serve.
Recipe by AnnaGlover| https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mains/italian-veggie-tart
What's on the menu
Sign up below to be added to our WhatsApp distribution list and be the first to know once our stocks have been updated!
We take pride to always try to bring produces that are grown as close as possible to us. We fly things in only if they are not available nearby. If you would like to order a produce that you are not seeing listed here, leave your email and a note and we will try to add it!